- This event has passed.
Live Online Workshop: Introduction to Harmonic Transmutations
Thursday, October 28, 2021 | 12:30 pm EDT
Start time in your local timezone: Your time zone couldn't be detected. Try reloading the page.
Harmonic Transmutations is a novel approach to chord voicing, developed by Nadav Remez. A set of discoveries about the nature of chord shapes has brought about a new system that masterfully catalogues hundreds of ways to construct four-note chords, and breaks down a wholesome set of tools of what to do with these chords musically.
In this live 90-minute online workshop, Nadav will present the core concepts of the system and guide you how to tap into the world of Harmonic Transmutations and start exploring its infinite possibilities. Topics include:
- The five elements: fire, air, water, earth and ether. Small changes to a major 7 chord open up new chord “families” that were hidden in plain sight for centuries. Even when we did come across them, we didn’t know what to make of them.
- Drop voicings and inversions, an in-depth review:
- The mechanism of drops: what drops actually do to the order of the notes in a chord.
- Pure drops: how many drop voicings there really are.
- Octave extensions: larger drops that are extensions of the pure drops.
- Inversions: How to find the inversion of a drop voicing.
- The philosopher’s stone: how each combination of element, drop and inversion creates an exclusive chord voicing and an intervallic structure – the voicing’s “unique ID”.
- Alignments: Chord qualities (major, minor) with a twist. How to extract them by playing transmuted chords in a diatonic series.
- Movement: Creating chord progressions by changing the element, drop, inversion, and/or root.
- Voice leading: See how Harmonic Transmutations progressions create unique voice leading options.
- Harmonizing melodies: Using the “top notes” exercise on all Elements, we can harmonize any melody line with transmuted chords.
- Crafting your own Favorites chord library: how to find, memorize and apply your favorite HT voicings and progressions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop is intended for advanced players who want to expand their harmonic knowledge and advance towards mastery of the chords.
Is this workshop for guitarists only?
No! The method can be applied to other harmonic instruments, such as piano and vibraphone. Even melodic instrumentalists can benefit from this knowledge as the voicings you’ll learn can create beautiful angular shapes when played as arpeggios.
What do I get with my ticket?
Your ticket purchase includes:
- Link to the live Zoom session (works in either the Zoom app or in a web browser)
- Lessons PDFs (sent to you at the end of the live session)
- Additional exercises and etudes, sent by email periodically
What should I bring to the workshop?
- A stable internet connection.
- A mic and webcam, so everyone can see and hear you in the class.
- A good listening situation. It is recommended to avoid using wireless headphones as these tend to pick up the sound in mono rather than stereo.
- Your instrument.
- Something to write on (though you will get PDFs that summarize the lesson).